Scottish Prisoner

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Outlander Challenge 2009-Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber excerpt, page 67:



"Yes, I did," I told him. "That's why we went to Paris. I'd told Jamie about Culloden-the '45, and what would happen. We went to Paris to try to stop Charles Stuart."

And so the adventure begins in the 2nd installment of the tale of two dynamic characters ever told, met by chance, married for convenience, loves for life.

At the end of Outlander, Claire lets Jaime know she is with child, his child. How can Claire ever go back to Frank. She has adapted to Jaime's time period and is known as a white witch, a healer, a woman of "the sight".

I initially thought I was reading Dragonfly out of order as the initial section page said, "Inverness, 1968". DG really takes the reader on an unforgettable adventure!

Dragonfly in Amber sets the stage for so many new characters, I especially liked Master Raymond. We also get to meet Jaime's sister, Jenny and her family back at the homestead, Lallybroch. We even get a peak at Jaime's grandfather, Lord Simon Lovat, who by the way was a real person and active Jacobite during the 1715 Rising.

Dragonfly also tells us more in detail the history of the Jacobites and Scotland's struggles for independence from England. Being a history fanatic, I devoured every word and started doing some research of my own as I have Scottish heritage.

As Claire and Jaime continue their relationship in France, we see both of their strong wills and stubborness emerge. Claire tells Jaime about the famous battle of Culloden which will occur in 1745. If only they can reach Charles Stuart who is in exile in Paris, perhaps they can alter history.

As they live in Paris, some familiar characters are ressurected bringing much pain and agony to the couple as Claire, while devoted to Jaime in everyway, cannot seem to reconcile that she has left Frank behind. I love the twists and turns of this story arch! DG is the master of setting up characters and letting us see them grow and mature into fantastic and memorable characters.

A new character emerges, Fergus, a homeless young boy, a pick-pocket that Jaime takes in. I mention him as he is one of my favorite characters. The reader will see much of Fergus in the sequals that follow!

Dragonfly is just as good if not better than Outlander. Again, listening to the audio for my 3rd "re-read" of Dragonfly has most certainly enlighted me and I found myself learning even more.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic review. I'm almost done with my first re-read of DiA and am loving it, too!

    ReplyDelete